DOLLY

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    inky

I’m building a dolly and track so if anyone knows where i can get skateboard wheels, pvc piping and metal brackets cheaply/free Id appreciate the input. type in ‘make your own dolly track’ into google and you’ll find designs of what Im after.

Dan

hehe :lol:

Sean

I used to build skateboards as a kid Paraic , I’ve got some wheels around the shed and some skill with pipe and tools . ( not a sexual innuendo there at all !!)

I’ll give you a hand with it

Sean

trendkill

The skateboard wheels have to be of a certain softness, they are graded by some kind when you buy them…. i think the site says it, tried building own dolly and track 6 months ago and failed… decided to buy a cheap one from Germany instead… worked perfectly. You can also buy dolly’s that use aluminium ladders as tracks.

inky

my last effort involved stripping down an armchair and balancing the tripod on the wooden frame and casters. not good. looked like a paraletic monkey trying to chat up a doorknob.
    nice one sean, ill print out those designs and get my tools. 2-3 metre track should be enough for starters.
    i think the wheels have to be polyurethene but fuckit we’ll drive on with the ones you have. i know a labourer who can get pvc and ill break the bank for metal brackets.
    the ol tracking shots make all the difference.
    im also writing a film about a philosopy proffessor who’s life and all its irritating little incidents make him doubt his chosen profession. should have first draft by Christmas.

Dan

feature? or short Ink?

I am also keen to help out with the dollytrack and have a large aliminium ladder we can use as a track instead of using the piping, i think trying to keep the pole parallel would be a bit tricky, only problem with the ladder is the limited length.

Sean

Polyurethane wheels are your only man for the Job allright.
    I used to have some but they may have dessicated by now . I’ll check the parents shed tho.

I wonder is it better to just get the head of a tripod , and build a sturdy frame for the dolly ? impossible to describe without drawing what I’m thinking out , but sure we’ll hit the heads together

He He He power tools grrrrrr .

Dan

looks like we are gonna need a bigger car, mabye a van to get these tracks on set!
    :lol:

inky

By the way lads i got this very handy bit of kit – like an arm with an clamp that can be attached to ladders, overhead railings, bannisters, furniture etc. very useful for low/high angle shots…could even be attached to a wheelchair or dolly….hhhmm. only supports the weight of small enough though. ill bring it next day

Rabies

as for the skateboard wheels, Dan’s right get soft wheels. Otherwise you will pick up toomuch bumps and vibrations. In skate videos, cameramen always use these soft wheels.
    Try Tubes in the matthews centre, Half Moon Street. Also it’s important to get good bearings, maybe abec 5 or above, especially if you have extra weight.

trendkill

I think the name for that clamp is a "magic arm", its a real handy bit of kit alrights, its great for holding red heads or mizer lights as well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.