Cork French Film Festival Announces Programme

about egomotion Forums Announcements General Announcements Cork French Film Festival Announces Programme

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

[b:9a5fa]The 19th Cork French Film Festival is proud to announce its 2008 programme.[/b:9a5fa] :grin:

Please visit our newly created website which features or full programme plus a screening room for our feature film trailers and sneak previews:

http://www.corkfrenchfilmfestival.com

Visit our myspace page for music and links to all the artists playing at the festival.

http://www.myspace.com/corkfrenchfilmfestival

[b:9a5fa]FESTIVAL HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE[/b:9a5fa]

[b:9a5fa]
    FEATURE FILMS[/b:9a5fa]

Our feature film programme is imbued with the spirit of European integration.
    We present films made in co-production with other countries and in many different languages: French of course, but also English, Spanish, Flemish, Russian and Arabic.

The festival opens and closes with two striking debuts; Water Lilies and Caramel.
    Irish Premieres include [i:9a5fa]Ex Drummer [/i:9a5fa]and [i:9a5fa]Fat Stupid Rabbit.[/i:9a5fa]

[b:9a5fa]CANNES FILM FESTIVAL RESIDENCE – GUEST DIRECTOR[/b:9a5fa]

Slava Ross, awarded the Cannes Film Festival Residence is in Cork to present his debut feature [i:9a5fa]Fat Stupid Rabbit[/i:9a5fa] and will present a Screenwriters & Directors Masterclass for young filmmakers.

[b:9a5fa]MASTERPIECES[/b:9a5fa]

Alongside such fresh and vibrant films we also pay homage to the great masters and showcase films by directors who were equally bold in their day, Cocteau, Resnais and Tarkovsky.

[i:9a5fa]The Sacrifice[/i:9a5fa], a Swedish/French co-production by the great Russian director [b:9a5fa]Andrei Tarkovsky[/b:9a5fa] We present a restored 35mm print re-released to mark the anniversary of one of cinema’s finest poets.

[b:9a5fa]Companion Documentary:[/b:9a5fa]

In [i:9a5fa]Un Journee de Andrei Arsenevitch[/i:9a5fa], [b:9a5fa]Chris Marker[/b:9a5fa] pays homage to the Russian master [b:9a5fa]Andrei Tarkovsky.[/b:9a5fa] The documentary was shot while the director was dying of cancer during the making of his final film [i:9a5fa]The Sacrifice.[/i:9a5fa]

[i:9a5fa]Orpheus[/i:9a5fa] – [b:9a5fa]Jean Cocteau [/b:9a5fa](1949)
    Decadent, subversive, and bristling with artistic invention, the myth-born cinema of Jean Cocteau disturbs as much as it charms. Probably Cocteau’s finest film, this is a perfect marriage between Greek legend and his own personal mythology.

[b:9a5fa]Companion Documentary:[/b:9a5fa]

[i:9a5fa]Cocteau & Co[/i:9a5fa]
    Cocteau was the most versatile of artists in prewar Paris. With his thirst for knowledge and his multiple talents he engaged with every art form: literature, poetry, drawing, cinema, theatre and music. His eclecticism was fed throughout his life by a profusion of artistic meetings and friends, [b:9a5fa]Stravinsky, Picasso, Coco Chanel and Jean Marais.[/b:9a5fa]

[b:9a5fa]CULT CLASSICS[/b:9a5fa]

[i:9a5fa]Diva[/i:9a5fa] (Jean-Jacques Beiniex, 1981), a late night screening of this stylish new wave thriller with an 80’s pop art atmosphere.

Our Sunday matinee is Rene Laloux’s stunning animation [i:9a5fa]La Planete Sauvage[/i:9a5fa] (1973)

[b:9a5fa]SHORT FILMS[/b:9a5fa]

We present four feature length programmes of award winning short films.

[b:9a5fa]DOCUMENTARIES[/b:9a5fa]

A rendez-vous with the best French documentary filmmakers, this collection offers a panorama of recent films, many of which have won awards and released in cinemas in France.
    [b:9a5fa]
    Retrospective – The Documentaries of Alain Resnais[/b:9a5fa]

A retrospective of the great new-wave Director Alain Resnais all on [b:9a5fa]restored 35mm prints[/b:9a5fa] which includes Resnais’ masterpieces [b:9a5fa]Night and Fog[/b:9a5fa] and [i:9a5fa]Guernica[/i:9a5fa] and [b:9a5fa]Even Statues Die[/b:9a5fa], a collaboration made with fellow master filmmaker [b:9a5fa]Chris Marker.[/b:9a5fa]

[b:9a5fa]Live Audio-Visual Events: Our festival champions new forms and ways of looking at cinema:[/b:9a5fa]

[b:9a5fa]CINE-CONCERTS[/b:9a5fa]
    New live scores to classic films

[b:9a5fa]3epkano[/b:9a5fa] – [i:9a5fa]The Fall of the House of Usher[/i:9a5fa] (1928) Jean Epstein’ classic horror film based on the tales of Edgar Allen Poe.

[b:9a5fa]Somadrone:[/b:9a5fa] [b:9a5fa]La Jetee[/b:9a5fa] (1962) Chris Marker’s unique and haunting sci-fi film.

[b:9a5fa]LIVE EXPERIMENTAL CINEMA[/b:9a5fa]
    We are proud to invite two of France’s leading independent experimental Film Labs, Burstscratch & Atelier MTK.
    Using handcrafted processing techniques, mirrors, filters, music and multiple customised 16mm projectors, they create a unique form of live cinema.

[b:9a5fa]INSTALLATION with LIVE SOUND DESIGN[/b:9a5fa]
    In our installation created by French filmmaker and artist Silvi Simon, films are projected as loops using up to 15 super-8 & 16mm projectors creating a course of phantom screens of all shapes and sizes. A host of sound designers and sound artists, The Quiet Club, Lakker and Korridor, will perform live inside this environment creating ‘soundworlds’ that will evolve over 6 hours.

[b:9a5fa]CLOSING PARTY[/b:9a5fa]

[b:9a5fa]Cap Pas Cap[/b:9a5fa] will see off the festival in style at our Closing Party.
    [b:9a5fa]Metalking [/b:9a5fa]will perform live hallucinatory cinema with bass, electronics and 16mm projectors.
    DJ on this special night is [b:9a5fa]Jim Plugd[/b:9a5fa] (Plugd Records).

Merci mes amis et a bientot!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.