Cork DSLR Filmmakers Group

about egomotion Forums Announcements General Announcements Cork DSLR Filmmakers Group

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    davidcgordon

Hello everyone,

Any other DSLR users out there interested in establishing a users group?
    Cameras like Canon’s 5D and 7D are amazing and what’s equally amazing is the minefield of dos & don’ts associated with them. So until Philip Bloom marries my sister I want to meet, work and trade experiences of these cameras with other filmmakers in Cork.

What I hope for with the users group is:
    A dedicated online forum where anyone can field questions about DSLR filmmaking. Where users can post reviews of kit and discuss pros and cons, workarounds and fantasy firmware updates.
    Establish a regular face to face meeting in one of our fine city’s cafés, libraries or whatevers for any interested members of the group.
    If everything works out we could even:
    Test gear and kit as a group or pool resources for shoots.

I’m not promising to lend my 7D to anyone or expecting a loan of some zacuto stuff off a stranger but if the group is established successfully, there’s no time-wasters, stalker/loner types and an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect is fostered then there is potential for cutting through some of the jungle that is DSLR filmmaking and wouldn’t it be cool to see some of the kit that other people may have before you rush out and buy stuff from ebay.in.

I look forward to hearing from anyone out there interested.

Dan

Thanks for your suggestions mate, I think DSLR’s are great too but egomotion has already done all of what you have requested from a new group, i do believe that members without DSLRS wold also love to meet up and swap stories techniques and rate equipment and gear, in fact 90% of the time we do meet up thats exactly what happens, our screening nights are much more than just screening nights, it a way for members with common interest to forge friendships and long lasting relationships, what tends to happen is that those members who make the effort to come along are the ones that form these long lasting relationships that tend to open new doors and new possibilities with their own projects.

Just recently a member suggested a GEEK DAY, which he held in his own house, I attended as did others and all of us had 7D gear we tested out, including dolly’s, Cranes, Zacuto Shooter gear, a slide rail, different lenses including fisheys, fixed 50mm, 10mm etc. All who attended had a great day, swapped phone numbers and others have gone on to work on each others projects.

We are always saying we should have more of these meetings but to be honest its hard to get the balance right, it used to be the case that we would meet up monthly but people tended to come at first but the crowds got smaller and smaller, we think this is due to the fact that they were on too often. So we decided instead to only have them 2 or 3 times a year, this resulted in bigger crowds attending again and has worked a treat!

At any time any member can suggest a meeting date and venue and we will do everything we can to help out.

Its great to see someone like yourself with the enthusiasm and drive to be more involved with other filmmakers, lets hope some more noses peak out of the woodwork and share their voice with the rest of us. :wink:

inky

yep, last few shorts have been shot with the oul 7Ds David…
    the shopping list grows each day, just trying to find some affordable cokin filters at the minute, and a viewfinder and….so on.

each shoot though has been made possible by several people supplying bits and pieces, and most importantly, their time.

feel free to send on scripts and ya never know, some might like to get involved.

Eoin O hA

Sorry I missed the Geek Day. That’ll teach me to check in more often! Still learning about the 7D. It’s great fun though. Must get out filming more!

Dan

I’m sure there’ll be another opportunity, Geek Day 2 maybe?

paddyshea

Geek Day the sequel, nice…..i’d be up for that. I’m thinking of investing in a shiny new DSLR

Keymaster
    "paddyshea":2ah83y86 wrote:
    Geek Day the sequel, nice…..i’d be up for that. I’m thinking of investing in a shiny new DSLR[/quote:2ah83y86]
    What are you going to go for, Paddy?

www.seanbreathnach.com

paddyshea

Well looking at budget and the way the 550D is really excelling especially with full HD 24,25 FPS I’m thinking that. It’s well worth the money especially with it being the b*stard love child of the 7D. Plus they work out handy for weddings as well, it’s looking to be the way forward. 2 DSLR set ups one for video and photography and one solely for video. Options are endless until you check out the new Mysterium X chip on the RED :p

Dan

Was in Denis Mcsweenys yesterday and he’s got the new 550D T2i in,
    he’s selling them at €899
    just in case anyone was considering the option of buying it in town.

paddyshea

does that price include the lens? i’m assuming so. not a bad price seeing as you’ll pay around that much from Ebay and most other sources. I’ll definitely pop in and check it out.

I have some sympathy with the idea of a DSLR Filmmakers Group, being a Canon shooter myself, but to be honest, I think that this would probably end up being divisive. Both existing video and DSLR’s have their place and one will not displace the other – at least not with existing technology.

Moving Image Cork was formed with the idea of bringing everybody together who have an interest in film making from whatever background and meets this Thursday (June 24th) at the Crawford College, so come along and check us out.

Moira
    Chair – Moving Image Cork

jameila
    "davidcgordon":1dahurzb wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Any other DSLR users out there interested in establishing a users group?
    Cameras like Canon’s 5D and 7D are amazing and what’s equally amazing is the minefield of dos & don’ts associated with them. So until Philip Bloom marries my sister I want to meet, work and trade experiences of these cameras with other filmmakers in Cork.

What I hope for with the users group is:
    A dedicated online forum where anyone can field questions about DSLR filmmaking. Where users can post reviews of kit and discuss pros and cons, workarounds and fantasy firmware updates.
    Establish a regular face to face meeting in one of our fine city’s cafés, libraries or whatevers for any interested members of the group.
    If everything works out we could even:
    Test gear and kit as a group or pool resources for shoots.

I’m not promising to lend my 7D to anyone or expecting a loan of some zacuto stuff off a stranger but if the group is established successfully, there’s no time-wasters, stalker/loner types and an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect is fostered then there is potential for cutting through some of the jungle that is DSLR filmmaking and wouldn’t it be cool to see some of the kit that other people may have before you rush out and buy stuff from ebay.in.

I look forward to hearing from anyone out there interested.[/quote:1dahurzb]

Very nice post……..

I am agree with you Cameras like Canon’s 5D and 7D are amazing. It is a good place to share your views on cork DSLR film making group. It made me strong and easier to get this valuable information

Thanks .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.